Apple season is in full swing, and we couldn’t be happier. Apples are delicious and nutritious, which is why we’re putting them in everything from breakfast bowls to...
Besides a PSL, is there anything more cozy this fall than a hot apple cider or the smell of freshly baked apple pie? Apples are one of the most universally loved fruits in all seasons. In fact Americans eat more apples than any other fruit!
Click to try some of our Favorite 🍎🍏 Recipes!
An apple a day alone may not keep the doctor away but thankfully, these tart, sweet and crunchy fruits pack a pretty powerful nutritional punch. Here are some of their core (sorry not sorry) nutrition facts.
- One medium apple provides almost 20% of the daily-recommended amount of fiber. Fiber is great for helping us feel full and is an agent for helping lower cholesterol
- One medium apple has a modest amount of calories (~95 calories) yet a whopping 14% of our daily value for vitamin C, a strong defender of the common cold.
- Apples contain polyphenols, which act as antioxidants in the body. Antioxidants prevent or delay cell damage therefore protecting us from a multitude of diseases.
Apples come in their own wrapper and are easy to eat out of hand. They also add sweetness and crunch in the kitchen when used for cooking and baking. But with so many varieties, it's tough to know which are best to pack in a lunch and which to cook with. Here's a handy guide to help you decide:
Best apples for eating raw: Gala, Honeycrisp, Fuji, Red Delicious, and Pink Lady
- When choosing an apple to eat raw, the best varieties are crisp and juicy and have a balance of sweet and sour.
Best apples for cooking: Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, Braeburn, and Cortland.
- Apples best for cooking are those that are tart when eaten raw but sweetened with cooking, and have a firm flesh that keeps its shape with heat.
Looking for more guidance? Click the link below to chat with one of our Registered Dietitians today! You can get tips on how to create a balanced, healthy meal plan tailored just for you!